Happy Monday! Only another day and a half of school left for my Thomas and then....."school's out for summer." (sung in my worst Alice Cooper impersonation.) I'm excited for this summer. Vacations at the beach, day/weekend trips, BBQ's with family and friends, golf , hanging out in the sun by the pool and did I mention THE BEACH?
Before I get all sidetracked thinking about the beach, I want to share with you a DIY project I did this weekend. So quick, so easy and so cheap it was practically free.
I've had this old pallet laying around for probably a year now. I picked it up down the street from my house in the parking lot of a local business. I knew when I snagged it I wanted to make it into something cool. I just didn't know what. I see a lot on Pinterest of what people make and do with these old pallets, it's amazing!
I got my inspiration from wanting to do a project for my upcoming 4th of July party. Plus there's a spot on the front of my house that's had the same twig wreath for years and it was way over due for a change. (Look at me, killin two birds with one stone.)
~1 pallet (FREE)
~1 each red, off white, blue paint and black paint - (bought craft paint from Walmart for 50 cents each)
~1 package of assorted sized wooden stars (bought at Joann's Fabric and Crafts with a 50% off coupon. paid only $2.00)
~1 package of assorted paint brushes (bought at Walmart, $2.47 for a set of 3)
My total cost was $6.47 but most of us have paint and brushes in our craft supplies. I happened to only have foam brushes at the time and had just thrown out all my old paints.
I don't know why I bought 2 each of the red, white and blue paint. I guess I got a bit carried away when I saw they were so cheap, plus I didn't think I was going to go with the distressed look when I started out. No worries, they won't go to waste. I have plenty of ideas to use up the rest of the paint.
You'll have to forgive my photography skills. I get a bit wrapped up in my projects and forget to snap good pics as I go along. I'm trying. This one is so easy, a step by step tutorial isn't as necessary.
First thing I did was have my husband cut the bottom 3 slats off the pallet so it had more of a "flag" shape. Pallets come in all different sizes and shapes, some are more of a square.
To get the distressed look, I painted the blue square and stripes of the flag using a very light hand and very little paint, like a dry brush technique.
Next I had "roughed" up the stars before painting them. I used a rock from my driveway, just so they weren't so smooth looking. After painting them with the cream color, I dry brushed black paint to distress them a little.
Then I had my husband nail them to pallet. (I did pick out 13 stars but dropped one on the ground and didn't notice til I was all done....shhhh, don't tell)
.....and there ya have it! Quick, easy and cheap! My 3 favorite things about any project.
I'm linking up this #MadeByYouMonday over at SkipToMyLou.org
You should go check out her site, it's an amazing place for all things creative.